6/14/11

post-crit

today was the day of two critiques: personal work and collaborative project.  after the end of it all I was extremely exhausted, but also filled with a bit more confidence than I had expected.  My style has tended to be an ambiguous combination of 'person, place and thing' entailing extreme swings and tilts from the view camera. While I did bring my field camera along (and have already shot all the film I bought!) I've found myself for the first time, in a long time, drawn simply to the formalities of line.

Having gone really big (40x50"), I'm wanting to go in the total opposite direction and print them super small.  I want the camera to really get lost and have the image initially look like a pattern or design.  We decided they would look great lining the room as a border above all the other work, and upon looking up at the small images you will discover the security cameras looking down at you.  I'm really excited about this idea, and hope to really start making them blend in with their atmosphere....







For our collaborative critique, all of the Shasen students joined, so James was translating everyone's input. We had an "American style" critique, which is more open and honest with the person about their work;  I'm curious what my group members thought of it. Whether they thought it was too harsh or not, I was trying to explain to them that we actually had one of the better critiques--we don't have to reshoot the main image, such a relief!