6/20/11

Chichu Artsite

'Taking form as artists and architect bounced ideas off each other, the building in its entirety can be called a massive site-specific art work.'  
                                                                     Chichu Art Museum

Chichu is considered a piece of work on its own--the entire space is built into a mountain every aspect of this building has taken aesthetics into great consideration (designed by Tadao Ando). This building has thus far had the most impact on me as a viewer.  I have studied all of these pieces and it was truely amazing to experience them.  My art history professor, Dawna Schuld, always stressed how important it is to view these works to really grasp what the artist is saying--she was completely right.  They were mind and body altering and I felt like I was apart of art history by interacting with these famous works.

Walter de Maria
 This room felt like you were walking into a sci-fi movie.  It was surreal.  All I could think when I walked in was 'this is what it's like past the pearly gates'  It made you feel so small, yet so magnificent at the same time. I was so impressed with the consideration of light--and how the piece would completely change depending on the day or weather. It was amazing. I went back to every room multiple times to experience it by myself.  I really liked this museum for that reason--it wasn't packed with people or with work.  You have the opportunity to really spend some quality time with the environment.




James Turrell 'Open Sky'


This piece affected me like no other art has.  I have seen pictures of this (which seemed interesting, but not impressive), but when I walked into the room it literally took my breath away.  It was a high I have never felt.  When I finally took a seat, I looked to the sky and all I could think about was my dad and sister who both passed away about two years ago.  The ceiling was a window into heaven for me, and so I said a prayer to them.  I let them know that while I love and miss them very much, I couldn't mourn over them anymore because I can let it completely consume me.  I will never understand why they didn't get to have a miracle, but I've realized I can't continue to sit around and maul over questions I know have no answers.  I let them know I wanted them to rest in peace and figured they couldn't do that until we all made our own peace with the situation--this was me making mine. After thinking for awhile, I finished by telling them I'm not forgetting about them, but I'm not going to cry and be angry over it anymore--I want to start thinking and reflecting on their lives rather than being obsessed with their deaths. I looked up and two birds flew over the opening, and I took it as a sign that they understood and accepted my decision.  I walked away feeling lighter and smiling and wondering if this wasn't the reason I came to Japan. 

Claude Monet
         His paintings are displayed in a room completely lit by natural light, despite being underground. I'm sure the colors were more true to his garden lit this way.